Deep Waters


I moved to the Midwest in 1993. The year of The Great Flood. Water was everywhere and it was quit scary to go over bridges. It became common to come upon a closed road because water was overtaking it’s low surface. With water engulfing land, snakes were quite a nuisance along with mice, spiders. It was definitely a summer to remember at the age of fifteen! Thinking back, the devastation for many was heartbreaking. I thought many times if people were going to get back on their feet. The devastation cost billions, farmers lost farms, people lost homes, lives were lost. It was unimaginable how the Midwest could just move forward. Being young it was hard to see past the moment. I do not have any personal stories about the flood but looking back, some farms were saved and homes were rebuilt and lives have been remembered. At this time in my life, I didn’t have a relationship with Jesus.

Fast forward about 23 years. My husband and I were selling our home. We had purchased another home and were anxiously waiting to sell so we didn’t have to drive to another town to upkeep the property. One day we went up to do our walk through and were met with water everywhere. There was not an area in our ranch style home that wasn’t covered in water. The water heater had a malfunction and 50,000 gallons of water went through our home! We hired a restoration company who cut two feet of drywall throughout our home to dry it out. Our new floor we put in that year was ruined and our home was on the market! What a stressful event. Eventually, the water heater was replaced, flooring was completed, and the house sold! I knew Jesus at this point in my life but my relationship was lukewarm.

A year or so later, a strong storm came through and torrential rainfall just dumped. Around midnight we heard an awful noise and realized water was rushing at our garage door and bent it to the point that water was rushing into our split level home! Again, we were flooded and had to hire a restoration company. We lost so much. The stress. The memories being thrown in a dumpster. The furniture ruined. Pictures gone. We lost our furnace, water heater, washer and dryer. In our little world, it was devastating. We had a long 9 months before we were totally remodeled. That many months of laundromat usage is enough for anyone to struggle with a myriad of emotions. During this time I was drawn to scripture and prayer. It was my only comfort. I was growing in my relationship with Jesus. 

Throughout my walk, whether I knew Jesus or not, He was by my side. He was there during the flood waters, He was their during the water heater fiasco, and He was there as my home filled with water. He’s been there in all events in between! Much like that song “There was Jesus” by Dolly Parton and Zach Williams.

Whether I knew Him or not, whether I was in relationship with Him or not He was there. He IS there. He says that He is with us in deep waters, difficulties, when we are under fire. Now that is devotion. To be there for someone who may not even see you, recognize you, acknowledge you. Wow. Would you hang around another who didn’t acknowledge you? The Lord does, He sticks with us.

Whether you know Him or not, I encourage memorizing Isaiah 43:2. He is promising to be with you in all unsteadiness, all walks of life. I can look back and see where He was and I never understood it until I grew in Him. He promises more and more for me, you, each day. 

I am sure if you’re an 80’s kid you’ll resonate with, “the more you know...” and that is exactly right. The more you know Jesus you will see Him as you travel through the deep waters. Keep your eyes on Him and the storm will not feel so big.

“When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Water coming over the road after house flooded.

God isn’t just going to get you through it, He will walk you through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment