His Very Own

His love is greater than any obstacles.
Loess Bluffs Wildlife Refuge
2020

 “He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds.”

‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

It’s good to do things for people, isn’t it? Give them a gift, help them at their house, run an errand. It feels good, serving others. You do it because you want to, not because you expect anything in return.

I imagine Jesus giving his life to free us, me, from sin. Not to free us so we can do good works and work our way up to Him, but to free us with grace so that we may live an eternal life. So that we may walk His walk. So that we may love, enduring a heart change so that we may share His light. 

I often read several translations and appreciate the depth of The Message translation:

“God’s readiness to give and forgive is now public. Salvation’s available for everyone! We’re being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life, and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life. This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears. He offered himself as a sacrifice to free us from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life, making us a people he can be proud of, energetic in goodness.”

‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:11-14‬ ‭MSG‬‬

We are loved intentionally. Every hair on our heads has been counted. He’s made it public how He feels about us, His flock. Nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:37-39). What a humbling understanding, He loves us so deeply as we were created through images of Him, not through good deeds. 

Today, I want to bask in His love. To know that it has nothing to do with striving to be who He wants me to be, but just to be who He created me to be. To open my heart fully and accept His change in my heart. The more I turn to Him, the more I turn away from my old self. I, too, can love, give, and forgive publicly.

Lord-

Today I praise your incredible willingness to love me, to love your flock. You are a Father who welcomes His children with open arms and continues arms open when we may turn away. You made us in your own image! How humbling to know that when I look in the mirror, you are there. You sent your son for me! For us! All of us! Your love is endless and knows no bounds. Thank you, Father, for my purposeful life. Thank you for rejoicing everyday over your flock. 

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment