Who Is in Your Driver’s Seat?

“Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?”

‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:34-37‬ ‭MSG‬‬

“Don’t run from suffering; embrace it.” That snapped me out of my “feel sorry for myself” reverie. Our family got hit with a pretty big set back. I’ve not handled it the best even while I’m looking for Jesus each day. I guess you could say half of me is looking for Jesus and the other half is wrestling. 

“You’re not in the driver’s seat, I am.” Another reminder that it’s not about me. He has plans for me that are far greater than whatever plans I believe I have for myself, my family. He knows where He is taking my family, so why am I putting Him in the passenger seat and ignoring His navigations? Who is in my driver’s seat? Jesus doesn’t need pit stops. 

This set back may seem like a massive set back but what does Jesus have for us on the horizon? I won’t know if I stay in a funk, if I continue to allow pit stops on this journey. 

 “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.””

‭‭Joshua‬ ‭1:9‬ ‭NLT‬‬

If you are going through what you feel is a set back, you’re not alone. Satan wants us to believe we are so we retreat or lash out. He gets us alone to destroy and kill. He attempts to take hold of the wheel and sit in the driver’s seat. 

The Lord is with you wherever you go. You’ve got to let go of what you feel is the plan; instead trust His plan. Give Him the keys and enjoy the ride, even when the ride seems impossible to endure. There will be much to celebrate at the end of the journey. He never promised it would be easy, so praise Him when the road gets bumpy. Praise Him when the road is smooth. 

So, as my family walks this path of reconstruction, I know He is with us. There are celebrations that have happened and we will focus on praising Him for those celebrations. 

Jesus, take the wheel. 

Lord-

I praise your name for the mighty work you’ve done. Even when I cannot see the progress, I know you’re getting us closer to where you want us to be, the journey you have in motion for us. The reminder of not running from suffering and instead embrace it is eye opening. For I know you are with me in all things and places. Why run from suffering when you’re right here with me? Indeed, you are navigator of my journey. Thank you for reminding me that you are at the helm of my ship and that I need to calm down and trust you! You command strength and courage in your people! Hallelujah! There is no storm greater than you! Forgive me for believing this storm is the greatest of all. Thank you for blessing me with this verse today.

Amen


Black Eyed Susan’s
Polk County, Mo
Summer 2022 


No comments:

Post a Comment