Treasure

“for where your treasure is, there your heart [your wishes, your desires; that on which your life centers] will be also.”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭21‬ ‭AMP‬‬

I’ve moved many times in my life, both as a child and an adult. Moving is tedious; deciding what must be packed and what to place in a yard sale or what to donate. Weighing the heftiness of memories versus valuable antiques versus room in the moving truck. I’ve long believed being a minimalist would be easier, and it may well be that way, but I’m not quite ready to part with enough to garner the label of minimalist. Apologies to my patient husband! 

I had a question asked of me the other day and it has caused me great pause:

If Jesus asked you to leave it all right now- this instant, and go elsewhere to share His good news, would you? 

That means no packing.

No decisions on what to keep and what to let go.

That’s a hefty question. 

Or is it?

“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world [wealth, fame, success], but forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16‬:‭26‬ ‭AMP‬‬

While I pondered this question another question revealed itself, “Is comfort my idol?”

Am I too comfortable in this moment to hear His plan and purpose for me?

I’m incredibly thankful for this opportunity to pray these questions and seek His face. 

I ask, genuinely curious, what would your response be? 

I encourage an open conversation with our Lord and Savior, about the treasures stored in our  hearts.

Lord-

I’m so grateful for reflection, conviction! Ouch and Amen! Walk with me as I share my fears of losing comfort in some things but gaining comfort in You. May this reflection cause a ripple of spiritual inventory both in my home and for those who may be touched by this prayer. May the treasure found in my heart be You, Lord.

Amen

Hodgson Water Mill
Missouri
June 2023


1 comment:

  1. Very wise topic to contemplate. It's hard to admit what keeps me from devoting myself to utter dependence on my relationship with Jesus. Thank you for asking about this!!

    ReplyDelete