Embracing Weakness

 “Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:9-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Finding strength in the Lord is far different from finding strength in ourselves. When I’m looking towards myself for the strength to “muster forward”, I’m actually drawing on everything else but God to get me through. Pride really hits here for me. I’ve been referred to as a strong individual and I would actually feel a sense of pride. I mean, when someone recognizes your strength during a tough time, that feels good, doesn’t it? 

But, it’s very much the opposite. 

There is very little healing when we are the strong ones. We get in the way. When I’m weak and cannot lift my head and must give everything over to the Lord, that is when I’m strong. When I can say, without shame, “I cannot do this on my own”, I am putting me aside and just letting go, allowing the Lord to do what He does. 

“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.”

‭‭James‬ ‭1:2‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When my dad passed away, for King & Country’s song “Joy” was playing quite often. The lyrics that stated “before my heart turns into stone” hit me in such a powerful way. I did not want my heart to turn to stone. I knew at that exact moment, hearing the song on the way home from letting dad go, that I was not called to be strong. I was to sit in my car, traveling on a busy road where everyone is in a rush, unaware that my world stopped, and be absolutely and completely weak. 

In my weakness, the Lord met me and shared with me that while dad was gone, His love and joy for me remained. I would have missed that message had I been the strong one. 

“The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.”

‭‭John‬ ‭10:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When we place our strength at a greater purpose than God’s, the door opens for the thief to steal our joy. We cannot “fix” everything, but the Lord has a plan, take comfort. 

Lord-

Thank you for meeting me at a moment where I had a choice: my strength or yours. May I always look towards your plan and choose to see joy.

Amen

Spiderwort near dad’s mailbox.
Polk County, Mo
June 2022


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful embracing of joy in a time of extreme vulnerability. I appreciate you pointing out how if you hadn't gotten out of the way you may have misses it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete