Thy Neighbor

I’ve noticed the increase of posts asking for help. Times are tough for many: gas prices, food prices, health. There have been groups created on social media to specifically encourage those in need to post and in turn encouraging the group to help when they can. 

“If you’ve gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care—then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don’t push your way to the front; don’t sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:1-4‬ ‭MSG‬‬

We never know what tomorrow brings. We know that He is faithful. It’s okay to ask for help. It’s okay to offer help. It’s okay to open our homes to neighbors, friends, family. It’s okay to assist in a need with a loving heart. 

I get caught up in my own calendar and this verse is reminding me to be community minded; not for a name or an agenda. It’s reminding me to break bread with my community family. To see everyone as Christ sees me. To stop putting myself in a compartmentalized box and expressing how “life gets busy”.

“Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:4-5‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When we view others as Christ views us...

“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.”

‭‭John‬ ‭13:13-15‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When we follow His example and lead by His example...

“This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

‭‭John‬ ‭15:12-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When we love others as Christ loves us...

* We see each other through Christ’s eyes.

* We allow God to use us as a means to answer another’s prayers.

* Our lives no longer seem “too busy”.

* We love thy neighbor.

“Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them. If you can help your neighbor now, don’t say, “Come back tomorrow, and then I’ll help you.””

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:27-28‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Rose of Sharon
Polk County, MO
July 2022

My dad was the oldest of 7 boys. He bought his mama 7 Rose of Sharon’s, one for each son. All of them bloomed this year. There are only three sons remaining. 


Lord-
Thank you for the reminder that I am one out of millions. That when someone is in need, and I can help, to do so without hesitation. Thank you for loving me so much to bring others in my life who did just that, helped me without looking back. I praise your name, Redeemer, Friend. I pray that I may always look to you first and be a great helper of my community. Thank you for bringing to light “busy” and to encourage me to cast that word out.
Amen 







3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this!! It reminds me to let Jesus use me to lend a hand without expecting ANYTHING in return except loving on them like Jesus loves one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How Jesus loves on me...I tried to edit previous entry.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful way to start the day. Our neighbors may share the same beliefs or have completely different ones, but they are our neighbors all the same. Helping others by giving what you have is a great show of Christ’s love. Thank you for this powerful message this morning!

    ReplyDelete