Authenticity

 Life is incredibly interesting and often times we find ourselves in a full-circle moment. Prayer would be that moment for me at this time. Prayer used to be a very difficult practice for me. I would become tongue tied and feel sick to my stomach when asked to pray out loud. I felt fake. I would hear others speak these glorious and elaborate prayers and think to myself, “I want to pray like that!”. 

Lies! I listened to lies from evil, believing that I sounded fake when I spoke. Believing I needed to compare my prayer speak to others. How easily we are deceived.

Not long ago I blogged about the unseen happenings around us. How I might pray for something and my prayer would be answered but not in the way I believed it would go. It had me wondering where my heart was as I prayed. Am I even doing this right?!  

This morning I was reminded about the Lord’s Prayer and it’s simplicity:

“Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one.”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:9-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I like to compare different versions of verses. Unwrapping them and looking at the different verb usages is fascinating to me. It can help you dive further into understanding, taking a deeper moment with God. 

Did you guess I am an educator? You would be correct! I am positive that unwrapping language for further understanding isn’t something many considers fun during quiet time. Ha ha ha

I digress.

Here is the Lord’s Prayer using The Message:

““The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this: 

Our Father in heaven, Reveal who you are. Set the world right; Do what’s best— as above, so below. Keep us alive with three square meals. Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others. Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. You’re in charge! You can do anything you want! You’re ablaze in beauty! Yes. Yes. Yes.”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:7-13‬ ‭MSG‬‬

Simplicity.

As I’ve grown in my prayer life, leaving the ardent displays of words and prayed from my heart, meeting Him has grown into an authentic walk. He reminds me that not everyone speaks eloquently as they pray and that’s okay! He just wants authenticity, from the heart. 

I enjoy hearing others pray out loud. I enjoy hearing elaborate prayers from others because it sounds musical and poetic. I no longer desire to pray like others. I desire to pray from my heart, no matter how I sound. 

I desire to reach a level in my prayer life where the urgencies are replaced with peaceful reassurance. God and I have come a long way with my heart change. He is leading me and I continue to pray that my heart remains open to His transformation.

Hallelujah! Isn’t our Father such a good, good Father?

So, if you’re struggling with praying out loud, you’re not alone. Know that anything keeping you from praying out loud are lies from Satan. Your prayers can be elaborate, simplistic, or in between. 

“Jesus was matter-of-fact: “Embrace this God-life. Really embrace it, and nothing will be too much for you. This mountain, for instance: Just say, ‘Go jump in the lake’—no shuffling or hemming and hawing—and it’s as good as done. That’s why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you’ll get God’s everything. And when you assume the posture of prayer, remember that it’s not all asking. If you have anything against someone, forgive—only then will your heavenly Father be inclined to also wipe your slate clean of sins.””

‭‭Mark‬ ‭11:22-25‬ ‭MSG‬‬

Polk County Missouri
Summer 2022

Lord-

I praise your name for you are a glorious redeemer. Your promises are the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow. Generations know your promises and can take refuge in them. I ask that those who feel uncertain when they lift their voice to you will be released from those lies! Holy Spirit fall on them your peace and confidence in speaking to you about their desires, concerns, and praises. I pray they may find their voice and speak to you from their heart. I pray heart transformations begin today and urgent prayers are transformed into peaceful assurance, peace that surpasses all understanding. I pray that our prayers, my prayers, are not of selfish notions and that we rest in your will.

Amen 

“But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.””

‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭16:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬



No comments:

Post a Comment