Refuge

“Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord!”

‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭37:4‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I remember when I was made of dry bones. When the going got tough, the weight of every decision rested on my shoulders. Fear. Worry. Urgency. Then the enormous pride when I beat odds and felt that I controlled everything around me. Like clockwork something would come along and cause me to feel small, weak, and alone. Dry bones rubbing against dry bones depleting strength.

The past year has been enormously hard. I reflect back to who I was before I knew the Lord and am incredibly thankful that I take refuge in Him. I cannot imagine walking this journey with my pride dictating, fear shouting, doubt stealing hope and joy. 

While I’ve had moments when my bones became brittle and doubt dampened my hope and joy, the Lord has never left me.

How do I know?

I’ve had days when I struggled praying. My body and mind just depleted of energy. I couldn’t string my thoughts into coherency. Yet, I was comforted.

“And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:26‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Prayers are being answered. We prayed for a house. We’ve had many houses picked out and while we thought those were it, He has a different house in mind. I can take comfort knowing He hears everything. What I think the answers to my prayers will look like, may not be what they are, yet my prayers are still being answered. Where else am I going to get such a deep validation with results?

“I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to him, and he answered my prayer.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭120:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I have made mistakes. I have battled. I have wrestled. I have doubted. I have yelled. I have allowed my critical heart to take over. However, in this muck of mistakes I have recognized things in myself I would not have recognized before. He cares so much for me that His grace blankets me as He continues surgery on my heart. 

“Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.”

‭‭John‬ ‭15:4‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I was driving to town the other day and one of my favorite songs came on, “Defender” by Francesca Battistelliand I had to pull over. Holy Spirit just rained on me like a monsoon. The instant emotion to these lyrics renewed whatever dry bones I had been carrying around:

When I thought I lost me

You knew where I left me

You reintroduced me to Your love

You picked up all my pieces

Put me back together

You are the defender of my heart”

He met me when I struggled in prayer. He met me as He answered my prayers. He met me as I made mistakes. He met me when He knew I needed refreshing, replenishing brittle bones. 

I’m given a vision of a cave. There’s a storm and the cave gives blessed refuge to those looking for shelter. I’ve taken refuge in this cave but half of me is out of the cave in the storm. Eyes are closed, body is weak. Jesus picks me up and carries me back inside to safety... 

“Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭34:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I delight in Him as I take refuge in His promises. Life is sweeter when my eyes rest on Him. Hope is a visual and joy spreads. Struggles can happen but I do not have to live in them. Jesus says to come to Him all who are weary. I am humbled to take refuge in Him. 

No turning back.

Polk County Mo
August 2022

Lord-

Thank you for refuge, protection, and grace when I become weary. Thank you for picking up my pieces and carrying me as my bones were drying up. My defender as I become more aware of parts of my heart that needs your touch. I praise your name for being constant and faithful in loving your children and calling me your own. I have faith that you are pursuing those who fell from you. I have faith that your children who know what that’s like will pursue you all of their days. Hallelujah!

Amen 


1 comment:

  1. While the world feels like it can crush us at any moment, Lord, let us soak in the Living Water you provide us, help our dry bones gain new strength.

    ReplyDelete