Power In Words

“That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Milkweed
Polk Co, Mo
August 2022


Sticks and stones may break my bones but words never hurt me.

As a kid, I would sing song this reminder in my head as I was being made fun of for being the heaviest kid in the class. While I would sing, it would help at the moment, but later on when I was by myself, the insults would resurface and I felt ugly again.

Insults can dive deep and anchor themselves internally, festering infection and causing pain and scarring. There is power in words. 

“Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing.”

‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When backs are against the wall, terrible words are spoken. We hear horrible things and we speak horrible things. Hurt people hurt people. 

This morning I pondered what was anchoring in my heart, scars from insults past or Jesus? The scars are from deep and painful wounds. I reminded myself hurt people hurt people. I re-examined how I talk to my loved ones when my back is against the wall. When I’m feeling stress, fear, anxiety (wow that’s another blog right there!) insults and blame just spew. 

When I soak in Jesus’ word my load is lightened. The insults cannot find a place to anchor. I’m made in His image and there’s no room for hurtful words. He does not see me that way. He loves me so that I may love others. During times in my life where I’m feeling the arrows of destruction will not stop, He protects me and shelters me in His truth.

Insults cannot penetrate when I am rooted in His word.

Victory!

For the moment...

...because there are distractions that take my eyes off of Jesus. An insult will worm its way inside. Ugly words will project itself out of my mouth and find a host. A cycle of struggle will begin anew. 

And then...grace. 

He reminds me that in my weakness is His strength. The insults cannot stay where He resides. I am given a picture of loved ones in His image, not just me, and would I talk to Jesus that way? There is no room for retaliation, only blessings.

Which words am I allowing power in my life?

Which words are you allowing power in your life?

There is power in His word, in His name, in His blood.

“I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace. In the world you have tribulation and distress and suffering, but be courageous [be confident, be undaunted, be filled with joy]; I have overcome the world.” [My conquest is accomplished, My victory abiding.]”

‭‭John‬ ‭16:33‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Lord-

I praise you for your grace. The reminder that you’re always here and in my weakness I will find your strength. Thank you for teaching me that insults cannot penetrate when I’m fully resting in your Truth. Thank you for reminding me that your mercy is new every morning and that shame has no place in my heart when I get distracted and fall short. The picture of my family and friends and strangers in the street, in your image, was a powerful reminder to give blessings and not retaliate when I’m hurt. That we are all made in your image, to love our neighbors as you love us. Hallelujah!

Amen


2 comments:

  1. A Scripture that I relied on during those times of hurtful words is Matthew 5:44. "But I say to you, love your enemies, pray for those who. Persecute you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew 5:44 gave me such encouragement to keep from wanting to seek revenge. And it improved my relationship with Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete