Auto Pilot

Crocus
March 2023
Texas County, Mo

Today was our weekly trip to a mid-sized town for appointments. On our way back home, I noticed more signs on the side of the road than usual. I asked my son if he noticed any new signs and he said he did not, that the signs have always been there.

His reply caused me to pause and wonder how much do I really pay attention to my surroundings? I reflected on roads I travel often versus roads I’m rarely on. Which ones am I paying attention to, alert, wondering what’s up ahead versus just driving on through, auto pilot.

“Listen to me; listen, and pay close attention.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭28‬:‭23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

As we drove further down the road in silence, I reflected this understanding with my walk with Jesus. When I was a new Christian, I looked for Jesus everywhere. Eyes wide open, searching, seeking, excited. I found Him everywhere. The road was always full of adventure as I traveled with Him on my mind and in my heart. 

Then the world got in the way. Billboards caught my eye, flashy happenings would draw my attention. Eventually, as I drove I would notice less and less of what’s around me, living life on auto pilot. I think we can all relate to leaving work and all of a sudden you’re home, not remembering the drive at all. 

When lives become busy, it’s easy to push out what we are used to seeing. Everything is a blur until a flashy new thing captures us and vies for our attention. It’s easy to drive along and wonder what the speed limit is just as you pass the sign giving you the information. 

How many opportunities to meet with Jesus are we missing because we are on auto pilot? 

Do you know who doesn’t miss opportunities? Jesus. He’s right there waiting for you to see Him, hear Him, know Him. As many times as we drive by, He sees us and knows us. 

“But God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭66‬:‭19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Will you look for Jesus everyday, while you’re out and about? Will you open your eyes with a fresh view and notice everything He’s offering you? He’s not forgotten you, just maybe you’ve missed what He’s trying to give.

Lord-

Thank you for the lesson you gave me today. Im so grateful that I serve a God who listens and pays attention. Give me grace to keep my eyes on you.

Amen 


1 comment:

  1. This message hits home hard. It’s easy to get stuck on auto-pilot but it takes attention to switch it back. Thank you for this message!

    ReplyDelete