Distracted

 

Star of Bethlehem
Toxic to pets
Texas County, Mo
April 2023

I was looking at our calendar the other day and felt overwhelmed. How did busy sneak in and dictate our every move? Busy is sneaky like that, paving the way for distractions. Packing the day with “To Do’s”, shows to watch, gardens to create, appointments, the list goes on. Racking up miscommunication and frustration until everyone is at odds, on their own island, feeling deflated. Irritated that no one is listening.

But God is listening.

I was drawn to Psalms 27:8, “My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.” And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.””

So much is going on around me: my own busy household, the community, state affairs, political happenings, worldly happenings. Yet, He reminds me that when my heart is heavy, when my heart is full, He wants to be in relationship with me. He’s listening. 

He’s offering a 24/7 invitation to listen to me, you, our neighbors, strangers, anyone, everyone! No RSVP required. It’s not a black tie affair. VIPs are not a thing. He wants us to open up our hearts, let go of the busy, and rest.

There are three types of rest. We can get physically tired and our body needs rest. Overstimulated? Our mental health is important. Take a few breaths and a brain break. The rest that’s easy to put off is spiritual rest, beginning and ending the day sharing thoughts with God. Meeting Him and resting at His feet. 

There are two quotes from Pastor Adrian Rogers that gave me deep pause and reflection:

“Satan can't keep God from answering our prayers, but he will keep us from asking.”

“If the devil can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy.” 

My prayer is that I notice the distractions in my life as barriers to keep me from seeking God, my refuge. 

Won’t you join me?

He’s listening.

“Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23‬:‭6‬ ‭NLT‬‬


1 comment:

  1. This right here is good stuff! And I needed this right now myself.
    Dr Rogers was such a wise and godly man.

    ReplyDelete