If You Ain’t Loving, You Ain’t Living

Osteospermum
Wright County, Mo
May 2023

I remember when Kool-Aid introduced us to their Bursts. I called them Squeezers because no matter how careful I was, the bottle easily squeezed,  predominantly causing me to wear the contents. If my memory is accurate, that may have been the same time I refused to wear red. The irony!

Science demonstrates the definition of pressure each time a kid attempts to open a Kool-Aid Burst. Force is exerted onto the bottle and if there is not an equalized amount of force resisting, then pressure overcomes and the item experiences a movement or, in the case of the bottle, a collapse. 

Imagine being that bottle and life is happening all around. The force of decisions hit, finances hit, raising teenagers hit, unexpected death hits, a move or a change in jobs hit, relationships change, and the list can continue to grow. Pressure builds in the bottle and everything inside eventually comes out, typically in an explosion. How does that look? Frustration? Anger? Resentment? Bitterness? Disbelief? Grief? 

It’s not easy to look at our pain, our hurt and admit that how we react is giving out pain and hurt.

“So above all, guard the affections of your heart, for they affect all that you are. Pay attention to the welfare of your innermost being, for from there flows the wellspring of life.”

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭4‬:‭23‬ ‭TPT‬‬

What if through the forces of decisions and experiences, we actively love? We give grace when others erupt. We mow a neighbors yard rather than complain they’ve not yet mowed theirs. Pay it forward in the drive-thru. Be present with those around us rather than detached.

Love is the equalized force that stands up against life’s pressures. 

I’m challenged to fiercely love, creating an unequalized force driven by love, causing a movement directed by the King of Kings, Lord of Lords.

“Owe nothing to anyone except to love and seek the best for one another; for he who [unselfishly] loves his neighbor has fulfilled the [essence of the] law [relating to one’s fellowman].”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭13‬:‭8‬ ‭AMP‬‬

If we are not loving one another, are we truly living?

Lord-

Thank you for placing the image of a water bottle being squeezed by a hand and revealing the water bottle as me and the hand as life’s decisions. Thank you for presenting an uglier image as the water bursting out of the bottle turns into ugly words, feelings and actions coming from me. You’ve rested this image on my heart for months. You revealed to me, today, while I sat in your house that as life squeezes, you are to burst from me not ugliness. Love for others is to flow like a wellspring. As I love those around me, they will love those around them. My heart delights in this moment. My prayer is to walk in your love and image, and should a time come that I’m squeezed by life, you burst from me and nothing else- in that moment love breaks through and healing, if needed, is sprung. A movement of your love rises. I didn’t want to attend church today for various reasons but you whispered in my ear that I’m personally invited to hear your message. Bless the pastor’s sermon today as he spoke in obedience of you, Lord, for only you and I know you’ve placed this very topic, in this very way, on my heart for several months. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment